TERMS OF REFERENCE
Copy Editor for the Review on the Admission and Dismissal of Members of Independent Institutions
Position title: Copy Editor
Research title: Review on the Appointment and Dismissal of Members of Independent Institutions
Number of Pages to be edited: Approximately 110 pages
Expected period of commitment: 02 Weeks
Application deadline: 1st February 2017
Location: Male’, Maldives
- Organization Background
Transparency Maldives (TM) is a non-partisan organization that endeavors to be a constructive force in society by promoting collaboration and discussion on corruption, transparency and accountability. Our organization seeks to engage with stakeholders from all sectors (government, business, politics and civil society, among others) to raise awareness of corruption’s detrimental effects on development and society, improve transparency and accountability in governance, and eliminate corruption from the daily lives of people.
Transparency Maldives received formal government registration in 2007, and is the National Contact of Transparency International (TI) in the Maldives.
- Background to the assignment
Following the ratification of the Constitution in 2008, along with the changes in the longstanding governance system of the country, independent oversight bodies such as the Elections Commission, Anti-Corruption Commission, Judicial Service Commission and the Human Rights Commission, were formed. These institutions act as vital links between citizens and the state, carry out important democratic functions and act as accountability mechanisms to keep government in check. Strong oversight mechanisms are a powerful asset in the fight against corruption, and to increase accountability of the state.
However, in order to be effective oversight bodies, such bodies also need to command public trust and confidence not only in its functions but also in the process in which members are appointed to lead these bodies. To this effect, TM has produced a research report looking at the appointment and dismissal procedures followed in selecting members for these independent state institutions.
- Purpose of the Assignment
TM is seeking the services of a copy editor to edit the complete draft report on the appointment and dismissal of members of independent institutions in the Maldives.
- Responsibilities & Deliverables of the consultant
The Editor will be expected to work closely with the Senior Project Coordinator for this project to:
* Produce a thoroughly revised and edited report of the Review of the Appointment and Dismissal of Members of Independent Institutions in the Maldives.
* Ensure that the revised report is well-structured, clear and concise.
- Duration of the Assignment: 2 weeks, with expected start date at late January 2017. The consultant must be based in Malé, Maldives for the duration of the assignment.
- Required Competencies
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in English or related field.
- Excellent command of the English language.
- Superior editing and writing skills.
- Ability to analyse and synthesise information; sensitivity to nuances and the ability to think and write analytically.
- Ability to clearly and concisely express ideas and concepts in written and oral form.
- Excellent ability to set priorities and manage time.
- Familiarity with the subject of the publication is desirable.
- Ability to effectively grasp and incorporate comments from multiple authors to fit a defined publication style and format
Closing date for applications: Before 0500pm Sunday, 1st February 2017.
Application and selection procedures: Interested applicants should submit an email to Shifza Omar (firstname.lastname@example.org). The subject line must read “Copy Editor”. The content of the application should not be longer than 5 pages and must include the following:
* A summary of relevant experience (attach a brief CV, providing evidence that you are qualified to undertake this assignment).
* Portfolio with at least two examples of similar assignments, preferably in the Maldives, over the past 5 years.
* Proposed Charges (including estimates of consulting days and expenses).
* Two relevant references.
Applications must be in English. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The contract will be awarded on a lump sum/fixed cost basis. The application should state the bid amount (in MRF) for undertaking the work.
Transparency Maldives retains the right to reject any or all of the applications and/or to enter into additional negotiations with one or more of the tendering parties to help define the exact scope of the work and deliverables to be undertaken.
Download the TOR here