Transparency Maldives is seeking the services of a consultant to work as a Curator/Exhibition Manager to manage and oversee the planning and curating of an art exhibition to be held in November 2016.
Position title: Curator/Event Manager
Expected period of commitment: 2 months
Application deadline: 22nd September 2016
Location: Male’, Maldives.’
View/download the Terms of Reference.
1. Organization Background
Transparency Maldives (TM) is a non-partisan organization that endeavors to be a constructive force in society by promoting collaboration and discussion on corruption, transparency and accountability. Our organization seeks to engage with stakeholders from all sectors (government, business, politics and civil society, among others) to raise awareness of corruption’s detrimental effects on development and society, improve transparency and accountability in governance, and eliminate corruption from the daily lives of people.
Transparency Maldives received formal government registration in 2007, and is the National Contact of Transparency International (TI) in the Maldives.
2. Proposed Activity
TM plans to hold a week-long art exhibition focusing on democracy, inviting established and aspiring artists to use art as a form of expression for democracy promotion. The objective of the event is to encourage artists to use art as a medium to counter authoritarian trends in the Maldives and to provoke and debate discussion on reclaiming the democratic space in the Maldives.
3. Position Summary
Transparency Maldives is seeking a Curator/Exhibition Manager to manage and oversee the planning and curating work for the event. The Curator will work with various artists in the country to put up an interactive exhibition to cater for the theme of ‘Equality’. She or He will also organize pre-exhibition workshops with the artists to brainstorm and discuss possible exhibition pieces under the common theme. The Curator will also need to work closely with both Transparency Maldives and the artists involved to interpret artistic work that both appeals to the familiarity of understanding of democracy while allowing for creative reinterpretations of common themes that reoccur within the idea of democracy.
The Consultation will take place in Male’.
4. Responsibilities of the consultant:
The Consultant will be responsible for:
- Producing a comprehensive interpretation plan on how to utilize local artists to create an exhibition on Democracy with the core theme of ‘Equality’.
- Organizing a week-long artists camp to bring together various individuals ranging from poets, musicians, artists as well as other individuals engaged in the creative sphere to brainstorm and ideate a comprehensive concept for the exhibition.
- Working closely with Transparency Maldives and other artists to facilitate the ideas into exhibition pieces within the given thematic idea.
- Finding and scout for a suitable avenue to set up the exhibition.
- Coordinating the necessary facilities and tools required for the exhibition based on the needs of the individual artists.
- Collating the ideas from the team and take lead in creating the eventual exhibition
- Arrange for the necessary pre-exhibition meetings
5. Duration of the Assignment
Two (2) months, with expected start date in the middle of September 2016. The consultant is expected to be based in Malé, Maldives for the duration of the assignment.
The Consultant will work closely with and report to the Senior Project Coordinator at TM throughout the assignment.
7. Qualifications and competencies
- Experience in event management, curating as well as an understanding of interpreting art work within a set theme.
- Familiarity with the concept of democracy and human rights and some understanding of the individual concepts.
- Demonstrate excellent facilitation skills for the pre-exhibition meetings and a flare to work with creative individuals as a team.
- Good Dhivehi and English writing communication skills.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Have an excellent eye for space utilization and curating ideas.
Closing date for applications: Before 0500pm Thursday, 22nd September 2016.
Application and selection procedures: Interested applicants should submit an email to Ahid Rasheed (firstname.lastname@example.org). The subject line must read “Curator/Event Manager”. The content of the application should not be longer than 5 pages and must include the following:
- A summary of relevant experience (attach a brief CV, providing evidence that you are qualified to undertake this assignment).
- Examples of similar assignments that you have undertaken, preferably in the Maldives, over the past 5 years.
- Proposed Charges
- Two relevant references.
Applications must be in English. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The contract will be awarded on a lump sum/fixed cost basis. The application should state the bid amount (in MRF) for undertaking the work.
Transparency Maldives retains the right to reject any or all of the applications and/or to enter into additional negotiations with one or more of the tendering parties to help define the exact scope of the work and deliverables to be undertaken.