TERMS OF REFERENCE
Position title: Videography Consultant
Research title: Develop short video clips promoting human rights
Expected period of commitment: 04 months
Application deadline: 05.00pm, 25 December 2016
Location: Male’, Maldives
- Organization Background
Transparency Maldives is a non-partisan organization that endeavors to be a constructive force in society by promoting collaboration and discussion on corruption, transparency and accountability. Transparency Maldives seeks to engage with stakeholders from all sectors (government, business, politics and civil society, among others) to raise awareness of corruption’s detrimental effects on development and society, improve transparency and accountability in governance, and eliminate corruption from the daily lives of people.
Transparency Maldives received formal government registration in 2007, and is the National Contact of Transparency International (TI) in the Maldives.
- Background to the assignment
Transparency Maldives is overseeing a human rights project with the aim of widening the democratic space and to protect human rights in the Maldives through collective lobbying and advocacy, partnership building and dialogue. It has been observed a decline in the democratic space in the Maldives between 2013-2014. This decline is reflected in the 2016 Freedom House ratings in which the Maldives is no longer categorised an electoral democracy and is listed as a ‘partly free’ country. Furthermore, civil and political liberties such as freedom of assembly, speech and association enshrined in the Maldives Constitution have been constrained through new laws and regulations such as the NGO regulation, Anti-Terror Act, and the Defamation and Freedom of Speech Act.
Despite this dismal situation, the government of the Maldives has accepted 198 recommendations from the 2015 UPR review. Additionally, there is a strong grassroots support for democracy and human rights in the Maldives. This positively creates an avenue to reclaim the diminishing democratic space and to protect and promote human rights. As such, Transparency Maldives intends to create and disseminate information related to human rights through multiple avenues including a monthly newsletter and a quarterly digest.
- Purpose of the Assignment
Transparency Maldives is seeking the services of a videographer to develop five (5) short video clips (duration, less than 5 minutes per video) promoting human rights.
- Responsibilities of the consultant
The Consultant will be expected to work closely with the Senior Project Coordinator for the human rights project. The Consultant will:
- Ensure human rights messages are encapsulated in communication and coordination with the Senior Project Coordinator.
- Ensure the messages developed are presented through the video.
- Ensure that the videos are of high quality, and in a format (or in formats) that is/are suitable for sharing on multiple media including, but not limited to, Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube.
- Five (5) short video clips (duration, less than 5 minutes per video) promoting human rights in the Maldives.
- Duration of the Assignment
Four (4) months, with expected start date 29 December. The consultant must be based in Malé, Maldives for the duration of the assignment.
The Consultant will work closely with and report to the Senior Project Coordinator for the human rights project at Transparency Maldives throughout the assignment.
- Required Competencies
- Proven 3-5 years of experience in video production.
- Proven ability to deliver high quality results under tight deadlines.
- Proven ability to coordinate, follow instructions and work under pressure either part of a team or individually.
Closing date for applications: Before 05.00pm, 25 December 2016.
Application and selection procedures: Interested applicants should submit an email to Ibrahim Thayyib ([email protected]). The subject line must read “PHR Video Production”. The content of the application should not be longer than 5 pages and must include the following:
- A summary of relevant experience (attach a brief CV, providing evidence that you are qualified to undertake this assignment).
- Portfolio/examples of similar assignments that you have undertaken (two to three), preferably in the Maldives, over the past 3-5 years.
- Proposed Charges.
- Two relevant references.
Applications must be in English or Dhivehi.
The contract will be awarded on a lump sum/fixed cost basis. The application should state the bid amount (in MVR) for undertaking the work. Transparency Maldives retains the right to reject any or all of the applications and/or to enter into additional negotiations with one or more of the tendering parties to help define the exact scope of the work and deliverables to be undertaken.