Transparency Maldives is seeking a Legal Consultant to draft a Whistleblower Protection bill for the Maldives.
Position title: Legal Consultant on Whistleblower Protection
Expected period of commitment: 2 months
Application deadline: 5th September 2016
Location: Male’, Maldives
View/download the Terms of Reference.
1. Organization Background
Transparency Maldives (TM) is a non-partisan organization that endeavors to be a constructive force in society by promoting collaboration and discussion on corruption, transparency and accountability. Our organization seeks to engage with stakeholders from all sectors (government, business, politics and civil society, among others) to raise awareness of corruption’s detrimental effects on development and society, improve transparency and accountability in governance, and eliminate corruption from the daily lives of people.
Transparency Maldives received formal government registration in 2007, and is the National Contact of Transparency International (TI) in the Maldives.
2. Position Summary
Transparency Maldives is seeking a Legal Consultant to draft a Whistleblower Protection bill for the Maldives. The consultant will draft a position paper, conduct stakeholder consultation meetings, meet with the media, conduct consultation meetings with the Attorney General’s Office, the Anti-Corruption Commission and members of Parliament, and draft a Whistleblower Protection bill.
The Consultant will be based in Malé.
3. Responsibilities of the consultant
The Consultant will be responsible for:
• Producing a review paper for TM addressing the challenges and gaps in the current legal framework, incorporating international best practices and recommendations.
• Conducting stakeholder meetings to identify challenges under the existing legal framework.
• Conducting consultation work for the draft Bill, including meetings with the Attorney General’s Office, the Anti-Corruption Commission, members of Parliament and other stakeholders.
• Drafting a Whistleblower Protection Bill in line with international best practices.
4. Duration of the Assignment
Two (2) months, with expected start date at the beginning of September 2016. The consultant is expected to be based in Malé, Maldives for the duration of the assignment.
The Consultant will work closely with and report to the Senior Project Coordinator at TM throughout the assignment.
6. Qualifications and competencies
a) Minimum of a master’s degree or equivalent in law, public policy, politics, human rights, or a related field demonstrably relevant to the position.
b) Experience in law review, legal research and writing, in line with international best practices.
c) Familiarity with development approaches in developing countries.
d) Demonstrate excellent facilitation skills for consultations.
e) Excellent Dhivehi and English writing and communication skills.
f) Excellent analytical skills.
Closing date for applications: Before 0400pm Monday, 5th September 2016.
Application and selection procedures
Interested applicants should submit an email to Ahid Rasheed ([email protected]). The subject line must read “Legal Consultancy”. The content of the application should not be longer than 5 pages and must include the following:
• A summary of relevant experience (attach a brief CV, providing evidence that you are qualified to undertake this assignment).
• Examples of similar assignments that you have undertaken, preferably in the Maldives, over the past 5 years.
• Proposed Charges
• Two relevant references.
Applications must be in English. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
The contract will be awarded on a lump sum/fixed cost basis. The application should state the bid amount (in MRF) for undertaking the work.
Transparency Maldives retains the right to reject any or all of the applications and/or to enter into additional negotiations with one or more of the tendering parties to help define the exact scope of the work and deliverables to be undertaken.