Transparency Maldives is seeking a Bangla Service Consultant to support the provision of legal advice and assistance to the Bangla speaking migrant community in the Maldives.
View/download the Terms of Reference
I. Project Background
Funded by Transparency International, the Advocacy & Legal Advice Centre (ALAC) is a separate Centre established within Transparency Maldives office to provide free legal services on corruption related complaints. Since 2012 ALAC has been assisting migrant workers in the Maldives (one of the most marginalised groups in the country) in accessing justice for various issues including human rights violations, immigration and labour related issues. In order to widen its reach, ALAC plans to launch Bangla Services to provide direct assistance to Bangladeshis – the largest migrant worker group in the Maldives.
The Consultant will be responsible for the effective management of ALAC’s Bangla Services.
II. Qualifications or specialized knowledge/experience required:
• University undergraduate degree or diploma, or a final year degree student, in Humanities, Social Sciences or related field,
• Or three years of work experience in a related position.
• Experience in written and oral translation work from Bangla to English and vice versa.
• Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills in Bangla and English.
• Strong computer skills in MS Word and Excel.
• Ability to work in a team.
• Ability to work with people from various background and context.
• A legal background or familiarity with legal concepts is highly desirable.
III. Geographical Scope:
The Consultant will be based in Male’, Maldives for the duration of the Consultancy, with occasional travel to islands.
Accommodation, Flight and Visa costs will be covered by Transparency Maldives.
IV. Duration of the consultancy: Three months, with expected start date in the first week of March 2015.
V. Application deadline: Monday 2nd February 2015
Interested applicants are kindly requested to submit a CV, covering letter, proposed fee, and names of two referees to Executive Director, Mariyam Shiuna at [email protected]